Jeb Wilkins

Coding and climbing in Cumbria.

Fixing RedBox Bugs

We use RedBox, a lightbox plugin, for a couple of Rails sites in work. It works great most of the time but today I’d got a bug with its overlay not hiding absolutely positioned elements in the page, only under IE. A lot of searching and a much better understanding of how RedBox works later and it turns out to be a simple z-index issue. That got me started though so I then fixed another couple of bugs, one with the overlay not occupying the whole viewport when the content was shorter, and one with the embeded div not taking where the page is scrolled to into account. In both cases I read the source to the original lightbox for ideas - got to love open source :) I’ve sent the patches to the author, hopefully they’ll be a new release, if not i’ll look into posting the bug fixed code up here.